Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Schlage or Kwikset locksets?

Schlage or Kwikset locksets?

I just had a discussion with a friend recently about door knob sets for exterior doors (I know, what a dork). He is a fan of Schlage and accrording to him, that is the only way to go.

Schlage or Kwikset locksets?-991c-5-smt-c1.jpg

I actually agree with him that they are made extremely well....even better than the Kwikset locksets. Here is my big beef with them.....If you lock them while in side, you can still open the door and leave. This is not a big deal until you are standing outside in your tighty whities in January. I understand that this is supposed to be a safety feature in case there is an emergency and you need to get out in a hurry, but come on.

Kwikset locksets are not built as well in my opinion, but when they are locked, they are locked. You can't get out unless you unlock it.

I started with all Schlage locks when I bought the house. Now I only have one outside door still on Schlage.

I wish Schlage had an option to have a dummy proof system so that I would stop locking myself out.

Are there any other locksets out there besides these two that give you the quality of Schlage and the lock option of the Kwikset?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register to remove all the ads.

I have Kwikset, like the same "harder to lock yourself out". Have 6 pin locks to compensate for the slope in it all. My beef is they discontinued the series we bought about 3 months after the house was done. So for me, never again. You just can't do that...

Pete

Are Yale locks still made? I don't know squat about them. Baldwin's are no doubt very pricey.

You might check and see if Kwikset and Schlage have commercial/industrial locksets. You won't have as much choice appearance wise; but they should be heavier duty.
    One can never have enough clamps.

Stuff I've made for the JD4200 or done with it are at this link.
    http://picasaweb.google.com/mjncad

Schlage has a very nice commercial line that is used in most commercial building, at least in our area.

I have Schlage throughout my home and we got used to the locks very fast. We have not locked our self out YET. But I do like the fact my kids can get out no matter what is going on inside. As they get older, its not as important, but still a benifit to me.

I recently installed all Schlage commercial locks and deadbolts on all of my doors in my house. Definitely great quality. I also have a hidden combination key safe to prevent lockouts. Had to use it a few times. I've used Schlage for years on many projects.

I had no idea Schlage offered that on their locks. It sounds like a great idea, but I understand how it could lead to a lot of lock outs. I have Kwikset locks on my house, and have had to replace two of them in the 6 years I've been here. Overall, I haven't been terribly impressed.

We're planning to build in the next year or two, I'll have to look into the Schlage locks when we're ready.

I know that I should just suck it up and keep Schlages on my house. They are built better for sure. I just need to get past that locking thing. I actually have secure locking outside key holders in case you get locked out. So, I really have no excuse.

I have gone away from knob locks completely. They do not provide the security I like. I am using double-key deadbolts. The only way these doors can be locked is with a key. So if you are taking out the garbage or getting your mail, there is absolutely no way you can be locked out.

We bought Kwikset door locks. They are called SmartKey technology.

We bought 1 package with deabolts and three without. They can be rekeyed onsite using their special system. So I was able to have all the locks including the deadbolt keyed the same.

One garage door has a keyless deadbolt and we dont lock the regular lock so we can always get into the house using that door or also the keypad for the garage doors. Our garage doors have battery backups so between them and the deadbolt it would be pretty hard to get locked out.
    Any hobby that cost money... Sign me up !

Schlage Removing Emergency Exit Function

Hi there,

I work for Schlage and wanted to let you know that we are actually in the process of transitioning away from the emergency exit feature. This change is scheduled to take place around the beginning of Q3, along with some exciting new products! So hopefully this transition will solve your accidental lockout problems!

Let me know if you have any questions!

Thanks for your support!

Laura W.
    Schlage Social Media Brand Marketing
    http://www.facebook.com/schlagelocks

Quote Originally Posted by tugnut1 View Post
    I just had a discussion with a friend recently about door knob sets for exterior doors (I know, what a dork). He is a fan of Schlage and accrording to him, that is the only way to go.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	991c-5-smt-c1.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	132.5 KB 
ID:	820

I actually agree with him that they are made extremely well....even better than the Kwikset locksets. Here is my big beef with them.....If you lock them while in side, you can still open the door and leave. This is not a big deal until you are standing outside in your tighty whities in January. I understand that this is supposed to be a safety feature in case there is an emergency and you need to get out in a hurry, but come on.

Kwikset locksets are not built as well in my opinion, but when they are locked, they are locked. You can't get out unless you unlock it.

I started with all Schlage locks when I bought the house. Now I only have one outside door still on Schlage.

I wish Schlage had an option to have a dummy proof system so that I would stop locking myself out.

Are there any other locksets out there besides these two that give you the quality of Schlage and the lock option of the Kwikset?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast